Brenham Grand Opera House Postcard

E-mail Print PDF

Brenham Grand Opera House

 

The Brenham Grand Opera House was constructed in 1878 for Henry Lockett. In 1881, the Opera House was sold to Samuel Stone, and ten years later sold to James Simon who later built the Historic Simon Theater in 1925.


Noted architect, George E. Dickey, built the Brenham Grand Opera House. Dickey designed many of the early landmarks of Brenham and Houston including several area churches. According to the Texas Historical Commission, Dickey's first major project was the design of the five-story Capitol Hotel built on the site of the provisional capitol of the Republic of Texas.